Home Ads

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Twins

Oleh : Hanza


Chapter 3


I looked out the window from my bedroom. The house I was living in was Ewan’s mother’s ; Mrs Layla’s which situated beside Thames River. The sky was so clear and I could see water reflecting the full moon. This is where you could see London Bridge. I suddenly remembered Jonathan’s favourite song when he was still a kid.

“London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down…”

I started rhythm without realizing.

“London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady…”

“Take a key and lock her up, lock her up, lock her up”

“Take a key and lock her up, my fair lady…”

I felt dizzy for a sudden and thought I should take fresh air. I got out from my room, sat on the veranda and kept a clear look at the bridge. I felt like I’ve been drawn in until a voice startled me from behind;

“If you keep sitting like that, I bet you will be the second corpse today.” Ewan was referring to Adam Frailles, the dead man we found this morning.

Without saying anything, I just showed him an annoyed expression. He replied with a laugh.

“Want some cakes?”

He took out a slice of chocolate cake he hold with tissues which he hid behind him. This guy sure knew my favourite dish.

“Choc cake? Give me!”
I tried to snatch it away but instead he poked my forehead.

“Nah! Take it yourself! This is mine!” He stick his tongue out

“Geez…You are two years older than me but still act like a kid!”

“I’m never too old to be a kid.” He laughed and it pissed me. How did I ever fell in love with this guy?

Ewan was a professional at work, but when it came to personal interaction, he kept that friendly yet annoying behaviour. But he was the closest to me. He wouldn’t ask me to do things I didn’t like and would always cover me up.

Biting the cake, he joined me watching the night view. When he was done eating, he wiped off his hands on a piece of tissue, sat on the veranda beside me and broke the silence.

“Pretty view, isn’t it? I’ve been living in this house for 26 years already but the view of London Bridge never fails to amaze me.”

“Uh-huh.”

Ewan took off his glasses and wiped them with a piece of cloth he took out from his pocket.

“There’s something you haven’t told me yet, have you?”

I was startled by the sudden question but stayed silent.
It’s true I haven’t told him yet about Jonathan although we once promised not to keep secrets.

“ You know, Emi…”

Ewan’s voice was really soft but I could hear it clearly.

“…since you lived with us, we had already thought of you as a family…”

There was a moment of silence before he continued his words.

“…so, please do not keep any secret from me.” Ewan looked at me straight in the eye I couldn’t afford to avoid the stare. As he had took off his glasses, I could see his pretty, brown eyes glittering under the bright full moon.

He looked at me deeply and so was I.

As our face got closer, Ewan’s mom coughed from behind. She was looking at us with a grin. Startled, both of us almost fell from the veranda.

The next day, we got a call for another murder case. Ewan and I went to the scene. What’s shocking was the modus operandi was the same as Adam Frailles’s case; which the lady this time also got stabbed from her back before the killer started dissecting her body. And yes, the killer also took her heart.

“Should we call him a heart stealer?”

I replied to Ewan’s joke with an annoyed face.

“Okay, okay, I’m just kidding.”

“So this lady…” He continued, ”Sarah Steven, age 31, Canadian. Based on the way she died, we could assume he’s related to Adam, but wait until we get further information.”

As we continued studying the corpse, I found a piece of paper, in the size of memo in the lady’s shirt. The so-called memo was full of blood but there was something written on it. Upon reading it, my body shivered terribly

“I MISS YOU EMILY”
Was what written.

Upon noticing my weird behaviour, Ewan grabbed the memo and read it. He was shocked and looked at me straight in the eye.

“I know it, Emily! You are hiding something from me!”

He grabbed my hand and brought me to an alley where no one could hear our conversation.

“Do you know who is the killer?”

I didn’t answer. Ewan then grabbed my shoulders.

“Please answer me, Emily!”


Chapter 2
Author Image

Hanza
I'm just a complete novice when it comes to writing. But please enjoy my story~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kembali Ke Atas